Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Gospel According to Michael Vick

Or, really, "The Gospel as needed by Michael Vick (and the rest of us)."

Here's what I know: Michael Vick deserved jail time. And he got it. He's spending the next 20+ months of his life behind bars where, bets are, he's gonna tear up the Prison League like Burt Reynolds in the Longest Yard.

He may be famous there.

He may be famous outside there.

But he's still in Prison.

And that's where we all should be, in a way.

The thing I've learned all week, and through circumstances have seen is my only hope, is this: "To the one who ... trusts that God justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness."

That means, that the captial-H He makes right the unrighteous. He makes the guilty innocent. He doesn't just say not guilty though, He says, because of Christ, perfectly innocent.

I I stand before Him in His court as deserving punishment, deserving a lot more than 23 months behind bars, and God is the God who justifies the ungodly. He took the sentence in my stead.

We won't see a judge in Virginia do that. And, in our world, we shouldn't. Vick should go to prison.

But in the Spiritual Realm we see just that. The Judge pays the sentence for me. And he makes right the unrighteous. He justifies the ungodly. To the one who trusts, his faith is counted as righteousness.

No comments: