Monday, August 11, 2008

Clemson Football, Revisited

Here's the question: can someone change what he wrote in this blog-world of ours?

I'm going to be man enough to say I made a mistake. I went the easy way out in my last post in regards to Clemson football, and essentially was called out about it by my boy Patrick. I looked at the Tigers' team, didn't think they could pull out an 11-1 year, but also didn't really know who they'd lose to. I don't really think that the Purple and Orange will lose to the Crimson Tide, and I was very unsure about it when I posted the prediction.

It seems more likely that Clemson will be Clemson, they'll lose to someone they shouldn't lose to. They'll scare the Clemson faithful, Bowden will be on the hotseat again, but he'll pull through.

Sound familiar? It should. That's Clemson football. That's what they do best.

Only this year it will be different. This year the Tigers are going to take the ACC. This year is their year. The conference is weak. They've got a great QB in Cullen Harper. They've got CJ Spiller and James Davis, "who may be the best tailback combo in all of college football," according to Tony Barnhart of the AJC. (Of course, the unknown is Caleb King, UGA's number 2 behind Knowshon. These boys, as long as they can stay out of jail, may give the Tiger tailbacks a run for that distinction.)

Clemson this year will go 10-2, win the ACC and play in a BCS bowl in January.

But who will the boys fall to? Duke? Virginia? South Carolina (Gasp!)?

I'm saying it's going to be Wake Forest. That's going to make it a tough go for the Tigers to come out of their division to the championship game, but in the mess of the ACC, Clemson will get help from outside to make sure FSU and WF don't get to Tampa.

So, the revised look:

Clemson, 10-2:
vs. Alabama (Atlanta) .... Win
vs. The Citadel ................ Win
vs. NC State .................... Win
vs. SC State ..................... Win
vs. Maryland ................... Win
at Wake Forest ............... Loss
vs. Georgia Tech ............. Win
at Boston College ............ Win
at Florida State ............... Loss
vs. Duke ........................... Win
at Virginia ........................ Win
vs. South Carolina .......... Win

ACC Championship, Dec 6, Tampa:
vs. Virginia Tech ............ Win

And on the Alabama game, my suggestion is take Alabama against the spread, but Clemson wins.

Hope my "flip-flop" isn't too much of a blunder. If it is, then I guess I only lose three readers. 100% of my audience, yes, but still a small number.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're giving Clemson way too much credit, and they never beat VT, so if they meet them in the ACC Champ. game they're in big trouble. GO GAMECOCKS!