Saturday, March 21, 2009

tournament time

So Stephanie and I are having a little head-to-head bracket competition with this year's NCAA tourney and, thankfully, after a horrid day one, I've taken the lead.

It's tough to be a huge sports fan (heck, I majored in "Sport Studies" at UGA...no joke...) and be down to your wife in the bracket. But that's exactly where I stood when I went to sleep after the first day of the tourney.

I spent that evening hearing Steph with excitement proclaim "I voted for them!" each time one of her teams won.

Apparently the NCAA tournament is now a democracy. Who knew?

Somehow or another, though, the tide has turned and she's no longer happy when her team wins; now she's only happy if her team wins and my team loses. So it goes.

But, as I type at 7:32 on Saturday night (UNC 74, LSU 63), I'm 24-for-32 in the first round, with only one team out of the second round and Steph's 23-for-32 in the first with five teams out of the second.

Not trying to brag about beating my wife and all. Or maybe I am.

My ego needs all the help it can get.

----

For what it's worth...

My sweet 16: Louisville, Arizona, Kansas, Mich State, UConn, Purdue, Marquette, Memphis, Pitt, Xavier, Villanova, Duke, UNC, Illinois, Syracuse, Oklahoma.

My Elite Eight: L'ville, Mich State, UConn, Memphis, Pitt, 'Nova, UNC, Syracuse.

My Final Four: L'ville, Memphis, Pitt, 'Cuse.

My Championship Game: Pittsburgh over Memphis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still haven't had a team lose a game yet...

Shaunta' said...

Hey Bert,
My friend and I just found you by clicking on a link from a comment you left about Mark Driscoll on CNN with DL Hughley. Your comment was on point and we really appreciate it! I learned the Bridge Diagram through Campus Outreach (CO)...are you familiar with CO?

Shaunta' said...

Hey,
It's a small world! I was on staff at GA Southern for a year before Eddie and I got married. We went on staff together in Atlanta at Morehouse and Spelman before moving to Montgomery. He is a real estate investor and I'm a stay-at-home mom now. Do you know Steve Wagner? Where were you on staff? What seminary do you go to?